Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"YOUR JUST A PARTY ROCK USELESS SKIN BAG JUKEBOX!!!"


Hows it going everybody,

This is yet another Blog of mine regarding yet another experience I encountered once again in the dj life, here in Vancouver BC..

But I would first like to say this...

For the most part... this life of dj'n as a career is a blessing. A true experience that i feel privileged for having..

When I was working 5 days a week in the day job constantly tired, plus working 3 nights a week I was worn out and in some sort of depression I had no idea about.. For the most part this was ruining my every existence and I was yet again creating a nice rut to cave myself in.. Though since quitting my day job and focusing on my dj'n and health, it has opened the doors for more positive thinking, exercise, healthy living and cherishing my friendships..

If somehow you find the following words offensive, please note that its just an opinion of mine and i have no intention to offend or disrespect anyone..

Now that cheesey part is over I am going to get to my recent issue with people having no Idea about respecting the dj's space, effort and in period.... JOB

****

( During this report you'll see numbers those or scenarios I've been in recently ).

I mean come on.. The girls, Booze, constant attention, Constant flow of new music, making new friends, fun gadgetry and electrical instruments of some kind, being completely idolized by the world as someone of complete significance and importance. Those are the reasons why i signed up for the Dj'n thing right??

Yeah maybe when I was 18 when I started dj'n but most certainly not now.. I mean it is still fucking cool to play with Turntables, cdj's and the midi Controllers but for the most part... THE ROMANCE HAS GONE!!!!

And Romance is so very important in a relationship!!

Would that 6'2 chick in the white Tank top and ripped jeans, slowly crawling her way over to me so awkwardly drunk and uncomposed care if i were using my record collection to DJ with?

When she makes her retarded request for some song that is completely off the musical mood of the moment should my reaction be one of complete admiration? Something like, " WOW.. Holy shit, you my friend have just requested the best song ever, ( Alarms going off in the background of the club) you are truly an inspiration girl!! And thank you for being so smart and taking the time to come and request it"..

in all honesty this really happened.. Not the part about me praising her but the request part.. I DJ 4 times a week, in 4 different locations.. And each one brings me such a range of different requests..

1) " Do you have the song, " Slush Knuckels By Kronic Substance?"..... Now, I have never heard of this song.. Obviously, ( Imagine it really exists ).. My reply to this request was, " Hmmmm. Sorry never heard of it, unfortunately I can't help you". ( I then nod my head, smile and get back to Beat matching the cue'd song I have ready to drop).. I then get a 'TAP' on my shoulder, its the same girl, " WHY NOT"?!?!?! ( " You don't know that song? Are you serious!!!??"

*** YES IM FUCKING SERIOUS.. I DONT KNOW IT.. I DONT WANNA KNOW IT RIGHT NOW, BUT IF I COME ACROSS IT IN MY EVER SEARCHING ENDEAVOR FOR DANCE FLOOR FILLERS I WILL CERTAINLY CONSIDER PLAYING IT.. BUT FOR NOW GO AWAY, GET A DRINK, MAKE A FRIEND AND IF MY MUSIC IS NOT TO YOUR LIKING PLEASE KINDLY LEAVE AND GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! ***

Now after reading my capitalized above text, do I come across as a general Douche? Am I being a fuckwit? Am I asking too much of people?

I can understand and respect people wanting to come request a song from the DJ... In this continent anyway (from what i remember in Australia requests were non existent generally, though I have been away from that continent for over 2 years).. I now try not to take myself so seriously and look upon these strangers as potential friends who love music and want to share there taste with mine.. But for fucks sake, do not lecture me on why I should have this specific song or why I should be playing it..




**


Recently i had a women come up to me at the metropole ( A pub downtown with a dance floor ( packed for the most part ) that we mostly play hip-hop and classic rap in ) who stood right next to me waiting for my attention.. Obviously I was immersed in my beat matching, phasing and transitions between tracks because i was playing some Hip-hop... Anyway, I finally dropped my track and popped my headphones around my neck and gave her my attention.. she said, " I want to know what song your playing next?".. " What? huh?? "... " Tell me what your playing next", she said.. I continued with my confused/Puzzled face and slowly turned away and started browsing my collection of tunes, I mean thats what i was going to do.. I finally came across a track I wanted to play, it had been a few minutes and she was still standing there.. " Im going to play some 2 pac..".. " No.. Don't play that", she said... " Excuse me"?? " I want to hear some trance music, play some trance music because I think the club will like it and if you do, and I like it I'll introduce you to some of my friends who organize Raves, get you some dj gigs.."

Now, can I just mention here that she didn't have a genuine look about her, this wasn't a piss taking opportunity for her, she wasn't joking, nor was this chick fun, happy or pleasant to talk to.. She did not introduce herself, nor compliment me on my Dj'n ability or how busy the Night is.. ( at this stage the dance floor was packed and the pub was at capacity ).

I leaned over and asked her to give me her attention...

" No sorry, but why would I play Trance?" I said... " Haven't you heard the music we've been playing for the last two hours or so?" " Sorry love, But I'm not a trance Dj and unfortunately you've stumbled into a Pub in Gastown..."

After saying this to her, she pulled away, with a confused look on her face, like I had just Farted or something and walked away, probably pissed off and angry at me...

At this stage I was quite frustrated with her..

So next thing I know hear is this Paul Van 'DYKE' walking up to me with a stern face,harsh walk and angry posture.... I'm like, " Oh shit, fuck this bitch!".. She grab's my attention after 'Tapping' my shoulder probably like 5 times... " HEY! Just play the trance"... She shouted at me, it hurt my ear... " Could you please not yell in my ear please??" this truly pissed her off and from what i saw she stormed away and never came back..

**** IF YOU DONT LIKE THE MUSIC THATS PLAYING KINDLY LEAVE AND OR REQUEST ADVICE FORM US WHERE IS A GOOD PLACE AROUND TOWN FOR THE SPECIFIC GENRE OF MUSIC YOU WANT TO HEAR.. I AGREE THAT ITS A PUB AND THAT WE (DJS) ARE NOW SOMEHOW TURNING INTO HUMAN JUKEBOXES (What I like to call, pathetic emotional skin bag Jukeboxes) AND ARE ASKED AND WILLING TO PLAY A RANGE OF DIFFERENT GENRES, BUT TRANCE!?!?! COME ON!!!! ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS... GO POP ANOTHER MDMA CAP AND GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK.. ****

In my opinion the above two scenarios happened in one weekend.. The above two and several other Request situation sent me over the top.. I was frustrated, angry, confused and disappointed in myself..

After speaking with a couple friends about this and really letting go of my ego and stubborn defenses I accepted what I now am truly going to follow in these situations.

JOE - Stop taking yourself so seriously... its a fucking pub, let morons come up to you and request songs, if you do or don't play the songs, who gives a shit... Just chill out and take the money and run..

JOE - Grab two little books with blank pages and put them at each side of the booth.. let the people write there requests in it..

There is no doubt in my mind that I sold out on the original idea of Dj'n my specific Genre of house/Breaks music.. I let that go for constant residencies in venues that are generally setup for party Rock music loving People.. And believe me I can do this well, but I would never get away with playing strictly House/breaks all night.. not hear...

The money is great, the lifestyle is Easy and I can truly say I love not having a Day job..

So in finishing I would like to leave you with this request that was made by a girl the other week at my Wednesday night residency...

Thank you for reading..

" Hey... Hey... Can you stop playing this fucking Black music and play some more White people music?? I can't dance to this, I don't shake my ass".. Play something good, people will prefer it.. Trust me!!"....



FML


JB

No comments:

Post a Comment