Thursday, February 17, 2011

Are you on my Guest List?


Well it has been three years and the time has come for me to leave Vancouver for some well overdue Travel adventures...

Honduras and South East Asia are calling me, so for three months I am going to evaluate my life, do lots of reading, shagging, writing and listen to some really great music.. I am almost at the point where I don't even know what music I like..

But don't worry... My friends I have made and have had the privilege of having in my life, I wont be gone for long, I am certainly coming back for the majestic Vancouver summer.. Simply because it is the most beautiful place to be during those months and I wish to party...

GIGS:

WED/THURS - SFU HIGHLAND PUB NIGHT
FRI - MY RADIO w ELDJLOCO
SAT - ACADEMIC SATURDAYS
SUN - BAYSIDE LOUNGE
MON - MOUNTAIN MADNESS CELLAR NIGHTCLUB


I was worried about losing all my gigs while away, I was worrying a lot. Almost to the point were I wasnt going to leave at all.. I became so attached to them.. Kinda felt like, " All this hard work I have put into my gigs through, networking, social media exploitation, friendships made at the venues... They will be gone... Some other cat whose waiting for his/her chance to rock the decks will take the gig and so be it"...

But I came to my senses with some help from my good friends who are true (because they don't want to see me fail)..It was.. Who cares if I lose the gigs to someone else, life is about exploring your potential.. Life is about making mistakes and learning from them..

I know for a fact that the grass is always going to be greener.. If I saw what I am achieving now 3 years ago when I was a Wallpaperer here in Van city, I would have fell over and cried out!! " Yes"!! Thats what I want!!!

But even now, I honestly want more outta my life..

I always underestimate my talent, and I am my own biggest critic.. I take my shit way to seriously and always trying to improve..

I know for a fact that with that attitude in mind, I cannot fail.. And when I return, I expect to be looked after.

Thanks to Bruce(ELdjloco), DJ Leanne, Jess Norsworthy,Brandon Chalmers, James Kang, Dana D, Boo, Will Wing, Ch3rk, Dom (Ecos), Mesh ent, DHM pub group and anyone else who have helped me create my current DJ status in this city...

To those who didnt help whom I asked either for a chance or for a gig.. Maybe we can work together in the future..




THE TRUTH:

I had a really interesting conversation with a bar manager last night about why he is one of the most sought after managers in the DHM group.. One key point he mentioned which stuck with me was that he has the biggest, " GUEST LIST ".. And that all the places he has worked he has always brought a crowd in..

Since I have started Djn in this city one of my biggest let downs, or should I say blocks which has stopped me from getting a shot in this city has always been the good old question, " How many people can you bring down"?

I have always had a problem with this question.. " Should it matter? Last time I checked it said DJ on my business card, not promoter"..

Look, to all the people out there whose opinions are like, "so what, it is what it is and if you can't get people down then too bad, you lose".. Well good luck too ya.. Seriously because I know for a fact that there are some what you might think are losers out there that have huge potential to bring people down to there new spots..... Its just not going to happen overnight champ!!!

The truth is I think judging a DJ's sucess off of their guestlists is bullshit..

In my defense, Im going to use my SAT night residency as an example.

It is full every weekend, with many of the same faces might I add who bring 3-5 of their friends.. Music is consistenly good, ranging from Hip-Hop/R&B, Dance, ELectro and yes of course some T40..

My guest list is maybe 3-4 people..

I was told that my night is the most successful of nights with Dj's and that the place has the best vibe and the staff are always stoked...

Not once have I been questioned about why my GL is empty? Not once.. But.. I bet if it were empty, and if I was playing House music, or Indie stuff I would be questioned about why there is no one there.. Or that I should consider changing the music.. Or maybe I would just be fired and then replaced..

The truth.. Well its about consistency.. Being consistent with your spins, and not being a Darche fag and only playing specif genres.. ( This goes for the Pub Culture in this city mind you, mainly with the DHM group)..

Be consistent with your regular clientel and customer base, get to know them, ask em what they like, buy them a drink and invite them back..

Super easy... yeah?? ;)

Which brings me to my question? Who is the most expensive, sought after DJ in this city, and what got them there?? How big are their guest lists? Because fuck that if Im going to wait another 10 years, balding and completely frazzeled out to become hugely successful in this game!!

Did corporate/commercial radio kill the mysteriousness of clubbing and pub culture?

DId the Music become to easy to purchase/steal, so then everyone started asking for it more free willingly?

Is Digital Music/Dj software to blame??

Wow times change, and for the most part... Im stoked.. We live in a beautiful world, I am totally going to embrace it..

Much love

JB

1 comment: